Monday 9 November 2009

Uncle at the V&A: Gallery 2 - Part 1



The second gallery in my exhibition at the V&A "Uncle and the Splendour of Homeward" is entitled " Haute couture & Objets d'Art" and will include some of my my favorite clothes and works of art.

Foremost amongst these, of course, is one of my most treasured possessions - my throne. Made of solid gold and decorated with the most exquisite jewels it is truly a sight to behold.

It has been said that I have been the greatest fashion trend setter of our age.

I always aim for comfort. My 'look' is based around the Gentleman's Dressing Gown - in my favourite colour, purple. A mysterious colour, purple is associated with both nobility and spirituality.

On display will be my day gown, a detail of which can be seen below.



Also on display will be this Japanese silk dressing gown - used for formal occasions:



and my 'club' gown for evenings beside the fireplace with a bucket of cocoa:



One of the most splendid items on display will be this gift from the successful scrap-iron and general merchant T. Benefit Barworthy.

A magnificent elephant’s robe of white silk with gold facings and a jewelled collar and cuffs. I wear the splendid gold chain with ruby insets, for more ceremonial events.



Buy my Biographies in Great Britain here and here

Buy my Biographies in America here and here

No comments:

Post a Comment