Saturday 17 September 2022

I am ready for the fight !

There is a very good article about the trial in the Homeward Gazette. The trial of Beaver Hateman, for criminal libel began this week at the Badgertown Crown Court. On the steps of the court Uncle made the following statement: "The total picture of the Badfort News's report is one of deliberate misrepresentations, falsehoods and lies, and is clearly part of the paper's long campaign of sustained attempts to discredit me. I have involved myself in the affairs of Homeward purely for the purpose of making a contribution to public service. I believe my experience of various walks of life, including the experience of doing honourable business, has strengthened my ability to make such a contribution. And because I do have such a strong commitment to the ideal of public service, I would like to make it clear that I am taking legal action not simply to clear my own name and reputation of the deeply damaging slurs that have been cast upon me. For there are greater public interest issues at stake here, far more important than my own position. The slander in this newspaper has been specifically designed to bring the institutions of Homeward into disrepute, thereby planting the seeds of, and fermenting the concept of revolution and the overthrow of the legitimate establishment. What kind of system would it be replaced with? and who would run it? The answer is Anarchy ! and the man in charge would be that King of Fools - Beaver Hateman! A man who holds grievances and grudges of his own and is prepared to bear false testimony about others to further his own bitter agendas. I have done nothing wrong. I have certainly made my fair share of mistakes in my years of life as a writer, businessman, and multi-millionaire. No one really understands the heavy burden of responsibilities that I carry - but I am prepared to stand on my record as a decent and honourable one - in Homeward and elsewhere - and to defend it not only before the jury of the courts but before the wider jury of all fair minded people. If it falls to me to start a fight to cut out the cancer of bent and twisted journalism with the simple sword of truth and the trusty shield of fair play, so be it. I am ready for the fight. The fight against falsehood and those who peddle it. My fight begins today. Thank you and good afternoon." Yes, I think that was a quite an impressive speech, if I say so myself, of course The Badfort News has a different viewpoint altogether on the affair. But no matter - they will be out of business shortly.

No comments:

Post a Comment